Saturday, February 8, 2014

Saturday

(Jay Leno gets fired by NBC.)

Yesterday, I ate beef and egg rolls for dinner.  The meal was good.  My wife is the egg roll queen.  I washed down the vittles with a gallon of Coke.  Then I devoured three donuts.  I'm a big fan of Dunkin Donuts.  However, I'm not too crazy about Krispy Kreme.  Perhaps I'm old school.  Then again, I might just be old.

I viewed several episodes of Rome: Rise and Fall of an Empire.  It's one of those History Channel programs.  But don't mistake me for an intellectual.  I'm just a sad lonely dilettante who has the IQ of a dolphin. 

Roman history fascinates me the way some hapless nerds gravitate toward stamps or the civil war.  And you have to give the Romans credit.  Being a global empire is no easy task.  Yet they enslaved the entire ancient world for nearly six hundred years.  Good for them.  The bastards probably had it coming.

I paid homage to the Christ God.  I said the Lord's Prayer on bended knees.  No big surprise.  It's not like I'm some filthy atheist.  It was actually Jesus who defeated Rome.  In fact, Christ is very much the king of the Eternal City.  If you don't believe me, go ask the pope.

I went to bed at four a.m.  I didn't dream.  I woke up at noon and drank some coffee.  Then I read the paper while enjoying a bathroom break.  Koreans don't believe that foreigners should ever use the term Sea of Japan.  They prefer East Sea.  Why?  Koreans hate the Japanese.  The feud seemingly goes back to the beginning of time.  I don't get involved.

I turned on Fox News.  The Five discussed Jay Leno's retirement.  Mr. Leno is a competent comedian.  But I really don't care about his future plans.  I've never been interested in celebrity nonsense.  Smith has his own fish to fry.

The Dragon Lady took the boys to see the new Lego movie.  I wish I had went with them.  I heard it's funny.  Plus I'm bored.

Anyway, enjoy the song of the day.  Here's Beautiful Girls by Van Halen.  God bless.

4 comments:

  1. The Roman empire did not have so many slaves after it stopped expanding.

    I watched a bit on Gladiators also on History Channel. There were not so many war captives. to continue the gladitorial contest one man signed away 5 or 7 years of his life. When life expectancy is not 65 or 75 that is a bigger deal.

    He lost his match died and his wife gave him a Christian burial.

    Around this same time Christianity was spreading in the Roman empire, but not through the sword, and women we getting rights.
    They were no longer property to be married off by the head of household.

    There is a difference in status for women between the Roman Republic, early empire and later empire. The difference was made by Christianity and it was a positive one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. Anything about Rome floats my boat.

      Delete
  2. About Jay Leno, you forgot/chose not to mention what makes him tick: He's One of the greatest CAR afficionados the world has ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Jay. But his departure doesn't break my heart. He'll have more time to work on his cars.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Smith.