Sunday, June 7, 2015

Sunday

(Texas Rising is a lot of fun.)

Yesterday, the Dragon Lady served spicy pork and French fries for dinner.  The meat burned a hole in my mouth.  I tried to fight the pain with white rice and generic cola.  Nothing worked.  My wife knows that I can no longer handle spice.  However, she hates my guts, so torturing me brings her great pleasure.  Oh well.  What's a boy to do?

I watched Texas Rising.  It's a three part miniseries currently featured on The History Channel.  The cast is impressive.  Bill Paxton plays a hesitant Sam Houston who keeps getting his ass kicked by the Mexicans.  I had no idea that Santa Anna was such a sadist.  He takes no prisoners, shooting every Texan who falls into his diabolical hands.  I highly recommend the program.

I paid homage to the Christ God.  I said the Lord's Prayer on bended knees.  No big surprise.  I'm not some dirty atheist.  I asked Jesus to cure my wife's demons.  Trust me.  That's a full-time job which only The Savior can perform.  There's not a human on earth capable of such a gargantuan task.

I went to bed at 10 p.m.  I didn't dream.  I woke up at 6 a.m. and turned on Fox News.  A guy named Josh Duggar is in the headlines. He felt up his sisters back when he was fifteen.  His parents are Quiverfull Christians who have a reality show on TLC.  These folks are against birth control and public education.  They believe that home is the best place for book-learning and that women should be submissive to their husbands.  Sounds good to me.   

I read the paper while enjoying a bathroom break.  Steven King wrote a new novel called Finders Keepers.  The reviews are pretty damn good.  I love his old stuff.  Salem's Lot is one of my all-time favorites.  I also like The Shining and Needful Things.  But I'm more of a nonfiction guy these days.  True crime often floats my boat.

Anyway, it's time for the song of the day.  Here's Promised Land by Bruce Springsteen.  God bless.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry the rice trick didn't work, Mr. Smith. Do you keep white bread around the house? Try using your tongue to smear the soft part from the centre around in your mouth. While drinking milk. Plain yogurt might help too. If it's got active cultures in it, that will be good for the bacterial balance in your gut, so the shitting might not be so painful.

    I enjoy hot food, including Korean, but not as much as I used to. I have dialled back on my hot sauce use because if all I notice is the burn, then my taste buds don't pick up the flavours of the food. If your wife's going to be passive-aggressive by continuing to super-spice the food when she knows you can't take it, and talking about your preferences has not changed her mind, then you should get passive aggressive right back and keep a bowl of water at the table to wash off some of the spicy coating on the pork etc. Or just decline to eat what you cannot handle. That might counter the excess weight you mention.

    A man should not have to suffer at the table because of his wife's ill wishes. That's one of the reasons I taught myself to cook when I was young. I never wanted a woman to be able to say "I'm angry at you, so you can starve, you SOB." I never thought of it in terms of having to eat things I couldn't stand, but I like everything except escargot, frogs legs, chitterlings/tripe and gonads. Did you know that some varieties of Vietnamese pho have beef balls AND filmy, mesh-like sections of cow intestinal lining in them? I'm aiming for my next wife to be Asian, and wouldn't mind a Vietnamese or Korean woman -- not Filipina; they're sweet but you wind up supporting their entire family or village financially. I had never considered food warfare as part of the inevitable domestic tension. Fortunately, I'm self-sufficient enough that they could not nobble me like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rice trick didn't work for me. But my sons use it all the time. I'm just getting old.

      Cheers.

      Delete
  2. You need oil to dilute oil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm married (21 years) to a pinay and we don't support her family or village. And I have land in Pagadian City...whenever they ask for money (freqently) Bing just says no. Jay

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Smith.