Thursday, June 4, 2015

Thursday

(Lee Seung-Yeop now has 400 home runs.)

Yesterday, the Dragon Lady prepared beef and rice for the dinner.  The meal was quite bland.  But I didn't complain.  I just smiled and ate my vittles like a dullard.  I'm wonderful that way.  After all, things could be much worse.  I'm just happy that I wasn't born in Djibouti.

I watched the Samsung Lions defeat the Lotte Giants on the tube.  The final score was 8 to 1.  The game featured an historic moment.  Lee Seung-yeop belted his 400th home run.  He's the only person in the Korea professional league to achieve that glorious milestone.  Mr. Lee makes $800,000 per year.  That's great money.

I paid homage to the Christ God.  I said the Lord's Prayer on bended knees.  No big surprise.  I'm not some dirty nihilist.  I thanked Jesus for giving me patience.  For instance, I've come to peace with the fact that my eldest son's a dolt.  Don't get me wrong.  He's a great person, but Harvard simply isn't in his future.  So what's a daddy to do?  I'm certainly not going to jump out a window.  I just have to accept the truth and pick up the pieces.

I went to bed at 10 p.m.  I didn't dream.  I woke up at 6 a.m. and turned on Fox News.  The Five discussed the younger generation.  They said that American youth are Godless and selfish.  I'm not sure if that's true.  They seem very sophisticated next to the average caveman.  Plus they have mad computer skills.  The Five are full of crap about a lot of things.

I read the paper while enjoying a bathroom break. MERS is breaking out all over South Korea.  I'm very scared.  Every day features brand new cases.  Some mothers aren't letting their children go outside.  Furthermore, the teeming masses insist on sporting hospital masks.  I feel like a character in a science fiction movie.

Anyway, it's time for the song du jour.  Here's Heavy by Collective Soul.  God bless.

7 comments:

  1. The teeming masses are asses. Those surgical masks won't protect them from breathing stuff IN; they're only a barrier for what's being exhaled. Which is why surgeons and operating theatre personnel wear them, so they won't blow germ-landen exhalations into a skin opening. If you looks at the masks the mooks are wearing, you can see the big openings on the sides and usually around the nose. Open road for airborne viruses like MERS. Only an N-95 mask, like the duckbills or the ones that enclose the entire mouth and nose, are effective. Those are not comfortable to wear for more than 15 minutes at a time, and they lose protective capability too because the moisture from your breath saturates them sufficiently to make a channel for microorganisms. Wetness is like a canal for germs.

    Often when I see an Asian here who's wearing one of those things, I stare rudely. They're generally tourists, so it's not like they're going to confront me. I'm analysing them to see what traits of phobia they have; whether they shy away from others on public transport, if they're squicky about touching surfaces such as handrails, etc. People are such freaks. I regard them as exotic species of bugs to be studied. That's what comes from working with lunatics for too long. I suppose I'm a nasty misanthropic freak too. Not that anyone would know it. I'm polite, diplomatic, speak kindly to my patients and co-workers... That's because if they knew the derision that I felt for many of them (not my workmates, 90% of whom are a good lot) they would be lining up to slap the sneer from between my ears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does your disdain for humanity result from previous trauma? Were you hurt by others, and the bitterness just lingers?

      The only remedy is forgiveness. It'll cure all that bile.

      I know. I can be bitter and hateful. But those negative feelings are cancer.

      Than again, what do I know?

      Delete
  2. I had plenty of hurtful people in my life, Mr. Smith, like my abusive military dad (until the first time I beat him in a fight at age 15) and my two snarly, uber-liberated wives (especially the first one, who had borderline personality disorder. You know about those, eh?) But it's mainly that from observing people for long enough, both as a newspaper reporter and a nurse, I conclude that we all have twisted parts at our cores. Dogs are nicer beings than we are. Humans SHOULD be better, but they're not. Religion OUGHT to inspire humans to higher conduct, but the main contact I get with religious types is dealing with delusional ones on the wards. And we get some doozies, lemme tell ya.

    That said, I do my best to be a good human being. Even though I'm an atheist. Because I believe in the Golden Rule. Plus I would get smacked down by the people around me if I was as antisocial as my instincts run. People think I'm a compassionate guy. It's fake, but I've got 'em fooled. I treat people decently, despite my disdain. If one walks on the Good Path, good things are more likely to happen. I don't believe there's an actual force of karma, but if you take a positive approach in life, positive things seem to happen. Maybe I get extra credit from the Universe for suppressing my snarliness.

    Overall, I'm happy, despite my misanthropy. I've got it great in terms of the material world -- enough spare cash that I bought another monster box today -- my health is holding up, and I have a secure job/housing situation. Often, I feel like a superior entity, cruising along through the morons with their flaws. I keep mine covered as well as possible, so that I appear invulnerable, and nobody gives me any shit. It's a good life I have engineered for my arrogant self, Mr. Smith.

    I wish the same for you. Only when you're closely tied in with other people, they always bring you down. We all wind up at the lowest common denominator of whatever people we're intimately linked with. The thing to do is find strength within oneself, and not be wrecked by the deficient folks around us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No matter how hard you try, you'll always be part of the human race.

      I enjoy talking to the morons because I happen to be a moron myself.

      We all get hurt.

      The best way to fight the bitterness is through forgiveness and acceptance.

      Trust me.

      You'll feel a hundred percent better.

      Delete
  3. Djibouti...haha perfect comedic choice.

    James

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Smith.