Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Wednesday

(The Aldo-McGregor fight is in deep jeopardy.)

Yesterday, the Dragon Lady prepared beef and French fries for dinner.  The meal was quite good.  The fries were a bit overcooked. But a day without rice is always a plus.  I washed the vittles down with several glasses of generic cola.  Sugary soft-drinks give me much pleasure.

I watched the season finale of Aquarius.  Sam's son is arrested for treason by the military police.  His mother cries in anguish as he's dragged away in chains.  Meanwhile, Charlie's lawyer friend murders another prostitute.  Charlie hides the body in order to blackmail his companion.  Aquarius is very entertaining.  However, the program will soon be canceled.  It's not doing well in the ratings.

I paid homage to the Christ God.  I said the Lord's Prayer on bended knees.  No big surprise.  I'm not some filthy misanthrope.  I asked Jesus to give me the gift of patience.  My eldest son's in the eighth-grade.  The boy's taking an algebra test today.  He'll probably come home with another poor showing.  Oh well.  Not everyone was meant to attend MIT.

I went to bed at 10 p.m.  I didn't dream.  I woke up at 6 a.m. and turned on Fox News.  The Confederate flag was the top story.  The Five are happy that South Carolina is removing it from the state house.  The panel also applauded Walmart for banning the symbol from their stores.  Make no mistake.  The flag's a racist emblem of hate.  But it didn't kill nine people.  That atrocity was committed by a mentally ill drug-addled monster.

I read the paper while enjoying a bathroom break.  I was overwhelmed by some very sad news.  The July 11th fight between Conor McGregor and Jose Aldo is in deep jeopardy.  Aldo fractured his rib while in training camp.  I can't tell you how excited I was to see this match.  The brash Irishman is a pain in the ass, and Aldo would've given him the beating he so richly deserves.

Anyway, it's time for the song du jour.  Here's Southside by Moby.  God bless.

7 comments:

  1. When the DL makes fries, does she use the store-bought kind, or peel and cut the potatoes herself? I'm betting it's the latter. I've air fried several kilos of store-bought chips, which are cheap, $2 a kg for the house brand from one of the two big Aussie grocery chains. The Air Fryer does them magnificently! But I feel like a tosser for letting some corporation do the prep work for me.

    A couple weekends ago at one of the vegetable stalls in the public market where I shop, there was an Asian bloke flogging 5-kg bags of potatoes for $3. They're a big green under the skin. I don't care -- I just peel them extra hard 'n deep. I've got this 1960's vintage device that I stole from my mom when I visited last year (she doesn't cook any more, so she won't notice) that's like a low-tech version of the French mandoline slicing tool. I can use it to hand-cut potatoes first into cross-sections, then into fries, zip-zip-zip, whatever thickness I want. I'm gonna give it a go, because French fries for 60¢ a friggin kilo, raw material cost? You can't beat it!

    Only I don't think these are the proper kind of potatoes. They're white ones, like the kind you mash. The Air Fryer booklet says a waxy potato variety works better for chips. I'll let you know how it turns out. I can still boil 'em, mash 'em and make them into potato croquettes in the Air Fryer. It has a recipe for that, too.

    I found another good use for the Air Fryer -- crisping nuts. I love nuts. They're what I eat instead of potato chips and junk food. I take a tram clear to the other side of town to this nut shop run by Lebanese Muslims because their almonds and cashews taste better than any other place I've been to, and I've sampled lots. I think they spray the nuts with some sort of wash before they roast 'em. The old guy who's at the counter doesn't speak English too well, and he's usually jabbering with some other Muzzie customer, so I don't know how they do it. Raw almonds and cashews from the grocery store are cheaper, though, so I've been tossing handfuls into the Air Fryer. They come out super-crunchy (after they cool) and they don't get burned as easily as they do when I try to roast them in my toaster oven.

    I'm also a coffee fanatic with my $400 Italian grinder and $2,400 Italian espresso machine. I might try my hand at roasting my own coffee beans in the Philipps. You can buy them green and toast them yourself if you have the right set-up. I reckon the Air Fryer would be perfect. For a straight guy, I'm pretty good in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife usually buys the French fries. She's often pressed for time.

      I knew you were going to love the air fryer. It's a work of art.

      Cheers.

      Delete
  2. P.S. The tune was good. Gwen Stefani I can take or leave, and I've never listened to much Moby, but I liked the beat/lyrics/instrumentation. Images in the video were freakish, but that's what music videos DO. At least it wasn't the violent decadence and niggerniggernigger of hip-hop videos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moby reminds me of David Bowie.

      I like him.

      Cheers.

      BTW, I'm ending all comments with "cheers".

      Cheers.

      Delete
  3. you can roast coffee beans in a wok Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do they give off chaff, Jay? When I lived in Canada and was trying my hand at backyard food-growing, we used to get 30-gallon grocery bags full of coffee chaff from the roaster where my ex liked to buy our beans. (She was fussy about them, and always drank decaf because her transmandibular jaw pain, so she favoured a particular coffee producer. I LOVE caffeine, so I'll buy from anywhere.) The chaff is full of nitrogen and it lightens the soil, but it blows around even more than wheat chaff. I'm not keen on having that in my flat, or in my Air Fryer.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Smith.